Everyone dreams of perfectly white teeth. For this reason, Dr David Reid and the dental team here at our Shire dentist have make a quick list on how you can keep your teeth white for longer.
- Avoid sugary foods. Sugar is the main culprit of tooth decay and discolouration and is a real risk as it is added to many products nowadays. Popular sugary foods to avoid include ice cream, cake, chocolate, lollies, yoghurt, and muesli bars. Use the nutritional information on the back of products to determine their sugar content of less obviously sugary foods.
- Limit sugary drinks. Sugary drinks are just as much of a problem. Soft drinks such as cola and lemonade can leave plaque on your teeth which leads to discolouration. Using a straw may help reduce contact with your teeth.
- Dodge acidic foods. For example, citrus fruits can weaken enamel and discolour teeth.
- Forgo staining beverages. Coffee and red wine are common culprits of tooth discolouration. If you do drink these regularly, try to drink water after, or to brush after.
- Limit smoking or chewing tobacco. Smoking is known to discolour teeth, so if you smoke consider limiting or cutting off your smoking.
- Try not to vomit if you can help it. This cannot be helped with some health conditions but avoiding behaviours that make yourself sick can help to preserve the appearance of your teeth.
- Brush your teeth consistently. This one is no surprise, but it does require discipline and the formation of good habits!
- Floss and rinse. These often-neglected aspects of dental care play a key role in keeping your teeth white.
- Not having regular dental cleans. Dentists have equipment that can provide a deeper clean than it is possible to give at home. By arranging a regular dental check-up that includes a clean, you can help to prevent tooth staining.
What if my teeth are already yellow, stained or discoloured?
If you are here because you have already noticed that your teeth have become less white than you want them to be, don’t worry. There are still things that you can do to increase the whiteness of your teeth at a Sutherland Shire dentist near me.
One popular comestic dental strategy is to undertake teeth whitening treatments at your dentist Sutherland Shire, which will increase your teeth’s whiteness by eight to 10 shades. It only takes one appointment at a dentist in Caringbah, which can often be fitted in during your lunch break for convenience.
The procedure is quick, easy and non-invasive. It involves protecting lips and gums and then applying a bleaching gel to your teeth, which is activated by UV lighting equipment within our clinic.
Teeth whitening at The Caringbah Dentists works best when staining and discolouration is caused by foods and other bad habits, rather than an underlying condition. If caused by an underlying condition, it is important to address this condition. Your local dentist in Caringbah can help you assess the cause.
If you would like the help of a Caringbah Dentist to increase the whiteness of your teeth, contact our bulk billing dentist Caringbah today on (02) 9525 0595 or firstname.lastname@example.org.